Quantcast

gutwrencher

Desperately seeking 18mm thin wall socket

I need this for the lugs for my UTV rims. Having a really hard time tracking such an item down... Starting to think only alternative is replacing all lugs with smaller lugs or grinding a socket.

gut

I need this for the lugs for my UTV rims. Having a really hard time tracking such an item down... Starting to think only alternative is replacing all lugs with smaller lugs or grinding a socket.

gut

11/16 will also work, fits a tad snugger than 18 mm but that's good if you haven't buggered the lugnuts, I had a spare 11/16 deep with 1/2 drive and welded it to an old tire iron that I cut the head off of and ground the end down square.

photo of wrench and jack coming.

kinarfi

11/16 will also work, fits a tad snugger than 18 mm but that's good if you haven't buggered the lugnuts, I had a spare 11/16 deep with 1/2 drive and welded it to an old tire iron that I cut the head off of and ground the end down square.

photo of wrench and jack coming.

kinarfi

I tried my standard 11/16 socket and it was a tad small, however from what I have seen might be easier to find a thin wall one. It appears that 18mm thin wall sockets just arent manufactured... I have looked ALL over the internet. 17 or 19 all day long but NO 18. :angry:

My Craftsman metric set has a 18mm that works just fine.

I have non-stock rims and the clearance between the lug and rim opening is minimal.

gut

I have non-stock rims and the clearance between the lug and rim opening is minimal.

gut

can you post a photo? please.

can you post a photo? please.

Sure, I just need to borrow my GFs camera.

BTW, my buddy has a shop and ground down a deep 18 mm 12pt socket for me and it works great! Gonna have him do a spare too. B)

gut

Figured I would chime in on this one...

What you should do is get a deep chrome 18mm Craftsman socket from Sears. I would go with a 12 pt unless your lugs are rounded on the edges, then find a 6 point. It shouldn't crack or shatter, and if it does, your lugs are over torqued.

11/16 is closer to 17mm. 3/4 is 19mm, there is no standard socket equivalent for 18mm.

Figured I would chime in on this one...

What you should do is get a deep chrome 18mm Craftsman socket from Sears. I would go with a 12 pt unless your lugs are rounded on the edges, then find a 6 point. It shouldn't crack or shatter, and if it does, your lugs are over torqued.

11/16 is closer to 17mm. 3/4 is 19mm, there is no standard socket equivalent for 18mm.

That is exactly what I have. :) 18mm deep chrome crasftsman socket 12pt. ground down a bit... gonna have my buddy grind me a spare too.