Quantcast

T2 california street legal

oceanjake

This is frustrating to me. California sucks...but there must be some loophole. The trooper comes stock with headlights, taillights, turn signals, reverse lights, and side view mirrors not to mention a catalytic converter. I've added a rear view mirror and a quiet muffler off my R1 streetbike and it now sounds like a honda. Everything is in place besides street legal tires, which I'd gladly go get if I could get a license plate for the thing. I live right near some great riding but it's for street legal only. I can back the trooper out of my driveway and get to 100 miles of dirt fire trails by going through residential streets but don't want to get nailed by a ranger up there. The guys at buggy world said they knew someone that we in the process of getting his street licensed. Does anyone know if this actually happened? Does anyone know anything about where to start getting a plate? Presumably the trooper is VIN'd as an off highway vehicle and can never be registered for street, right? Supposing someone hand built a buggy from scratch with all of the street legal stuff and smog that didn't have a VIN yet but looked just like a trooper. How do customs get street registered? Any help is appreciated.

I heard that same story from buggy world. According to them, they had a customer that had registered theirs in California, the guy installed a windshield, flashers for the emergency lights, dot approved tires and rims.

I leave mine in Arizona and it's street legal there. I wonder if it's possible to register it in Arizona as street legal and then transfer the regristration to California?

Good luck, let me know what happens.

I have heard of people getting a street title in AZ or some other state and later transferring to California. I know it use to work on dirt bikes. kit cars & the old VW buggies. People use to do the same thing to get rid of a salvage title on a wrecked car.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

• 1 month later...
Check with DMV to see if you can register it as a motorcycle. That's what they do here in AZ. I sell them. My customers have got plates in minutes. They don't even look at the vehicle.

Do you need to add a windshield ? I have considered getting at plates . i know that auto tags have gone up in Ca so i wonder if offroad stuff will. if it does then i may just plate it in az. How much are plated in az ?

• 4 weeks later...

Ain't going to happen in Cal without getting plates in another state first. Even then it may not work as it may fail the inspection when trying to get the plate. And after, every Police Officer that sees you is going to pull you over. JMHO!

Best thing is to leave!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Ain't going to happen in Cal without getting plates in another state first. Even then it may not work as it may fail the inspection when trying to get the plate. And after, every Police Officer that sees you is going to pull you over. JMHO!

Best thing is to leave!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I do have plates for mine in Arizona.The main reason I would like to get it licensed in Ca is to be able to go on trails that Ca says only street licensed 4x4's can go on.

• 1 year later...

This is frustrating to me. California sucks...but there must be some loophole. The trooper comes stock with headlights, taillights, turn signals, reverse lights, and side view mirrors not to mention a catalytic converter. I've added a rear view mirror and a quiet muffler off my R1 streetbike and it now sounds like a honda. Everything is in place besides street legal tires, which I'd gladly go get if I could get a license plate for the thing. I live right near some great riding but it's for street legal only. I can back the trooper out of my driveway and get to 100 miles of dirt fire trails by going through residential streets but don't want to get nailed by a ranger up there. The guys at buggy world said they knew someone that we in the process of getting his street licensed. Does anyone know if this actually happened? Does anyone know anything about where to start getting a plate? Presumably the trooper is VIN'd as an off highway vehicle and can never be registered for street, right? Supposing someone hand built a buggy from scratch with all of the street legal stuff and smog that didn't have a VIN yet but looked just like a trooper. How do customs get street registered? Any help is appreciated.