Quantcast

Steering woes

Mopartist

Has anyone solved the steering PUSH problem our Troopers have? These things do not like to turn. I realize that new shocks will make a difference; but anything before a spendy shock upgrade? Lower pressure in the front tires and higher in the back makes it a little better as long as you are acceleratiing. Other ideas?

Has anyone solved the steering PUSH problem our Troopers have? These things do not like to turn. I realize that new shocks will make a difference; but anything before a spendy shock upgrade? Lower pressure in the front tires and higher in the back makes it a little better as long as you are acceleratiing. Other ideas?

I assume you are referring to the front wanting to plow somewhat or understeer. You should be able to correct this by increasing your tow in. Kinarfis Trooper turns real quick. He likes it but for me, it's twichy having too much oversteer. His is stock other then he set up his steering himself the way he likes it. That tells me that you should be able to adjust it all the way from understeer to oversteer.

Lenny

I assume you are referring to the front wanting to plow somewhat or understeer. You should be able to correct this by increasing your tow in. Kinarfis Trooper turns real quick. He likes it but for me, it's twichy having too much oversteer. His is stock other then he set up his steering himself the way he likes it. That tells me that you should be able to adjust it all the way from understeer to oversteer.

Lenny

When I set my toe in up, I followed what the book said, 1" toe in, what I did was wrap a piece of masking or some other tape around the tire and then spin the tire and hold a pen against the tape to give it a line to measure against and measure the front and back and adjust accordingly.

Kinarfi

I never got a book either. They had not been published yet when I bought my Trooper. I downloaded the BOOK and saved it on my computer.

IMHO, 1" is too much, should cause tire wear & feel heavy. 1/8" to 1/2" is all that is needed. Tow-in is what makes the steering stable for most people. When you go to neutral, 0" tow-in or tow-out is when it gets twitchy. I run 0" on my race cars and at high speed they wanted to wander when traveling in a straight line. Great for turning. You really have to know what you are doing with no tow-in at high speed, be careful. Turning in is also a junction of Caster.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

You got a "Book" (Owners Manual) with your Trooper? Oh Man.....My dealer sucked! Thats why they were out of business in 6 months!

Want the book, go the parts & pieces post and scroll down about 1/3 of the way to manuals and down load the PDF file http://www.utvboard.com/topic/392-parts-pieces-and-information-for-our-troopers-joyners/page__view__findpost__p__475 and then go to page 54. My 1" was an approximation, it is actually .98 inches.

Oddly enough I was just looking at my alignment last night. I am actually Toe'd out 1". This is how we used to set up 4wheelers when I worked at a shop as a kid, so I thought it may be normal in a SXS. I think my T2 steers as good as it will get (with exception of the turning radius and difficulty of turning the wheel when not moving being my only complaints). But, while I was looking at my T2's overall alignment I found out my left rear wheel is toe'd out 1"--not good. I don't know if it came from the factory like that, or if it got bent from an impact. I will be digging into this.This could explain some of my squirlyness at speed. Also, I have only noticed it getting squirley when I have weight in the back. If I have nothing in back it feels great/very stable.

Since Rocmoc suggest toe-in I will try that first.

Oddly enough I was just looking at my alignment last night. I am actually Toe'd out 1". This is how we used to set up 4wheelers when I worked at a shop as a kid, so I thought it may be normal in a SXS. I think my T2 steers as good as it will get (with exception of the turning radius and difficulty of turning the wheel when not moving being my only complaints). But, while I was looking at my T2's overall alignment I found out my left rear wheel is toe'd out 1"--not good. I don't know if it came from the factory like that, or if it got bent from an impact. I will be digging into this.This could explain some of my squirlyness at speed. Also, I have only noticed it getting squirley when I have weight in the back. If I have nothing in back it feels great/very stable.

Since Rocmoc suggest toe-in I will try that first.

Some of the tow on the back is dependent on where the suspension is. The two pivot points for the swing arm are not perpendicular with the vehicle so as the wheel moves through its travel the tow changes. You could also have loose swing arm pivot points or wheel bearing.

Lenny