Quantcast

OIL FILTERS

I've been running Fram oil filters and I tried to see if the one I had for my wifes Toyota would fit, NO! so I decided to look up the specs, thread size, and ran into a bunch of oil filter utube shows that made me wonder what was the best, what are you guys running? I think I'm switching over to Napa Gold #1348.

Kinarfi

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lenny

I've been running Fram oil filters and I tried to see if the one I had for my wifes Toyota would fit, NO! so I decided to look up the specs, thread size, and ran into a bunch of oil filter utube shows that made me wonder what was the best, what are you guys running? I think I'm switching over to Napa Gold #1348.

Kinarfi

I run a Wix #51347. It's a little bigger around and somewhat longer. About twice the size overall then stock. Never did like the little tiny filter. Would like to go to a Mobile extended high mileage filter but haven't as of yet found one to fit. I understand that they filter down to a lot smaller size particle then regular filters.

Lenny

From what I have seen/heard/read about fram they are the cheapest and worst filters out there in general just the way they are made. I have seen and read that the NAPA filters are good as are the WIX filters. There are lots of videos and discussions about filters in general out there and every one I have seen have been very unflattering for fram.

Jeff

I had my sweetheart go get my oil filter for me and when I got it I was still messing around looking at cross references and noticed that the Napa Gold #1348 filter has a thread of 3/4-16 and my Trooper need a thread of 20-1.5, so I had her take it back and we ended up getting a Wix 51334 from Checker O'Reilly and they had gallon bottles of oil on sale, so we got 4 gallon of oil and it turns out the one bottle is perfect for an oil change. I use Valvoline 10-40.

Troopers with Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM can use:

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51347 ****** this is what Lenny uses

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51334 ** this is what I used this time

http://www.napafilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=1347 ** Napa gold had a few more filter pleats than Wix

http://www.napafilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=1334

http://www.napafilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=PS1334

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=PH6010A

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=PH3593A

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=PH2849A

I'll look up some more tomorrow, going to bed, and I'll copy this to parts and pieces, too.

I had to pull my engine, again, because I had a bad seal between the pan and the engine. What I found out is that you don't tighten the bolts when not using a gasket and just silicone, you run the bolts in until you see silicone start to squeeze out and stop, wait for an hour and then tighten another 1/4 turn, that's the instructions, what I did was put silicone all the way around the pan, then drag the threads of a 1" bolt through the silicone to make grooves and let it cure completely, next day, I added more silicone filling up the grooves and mounted it and tightened it down, but not overly tight, but enough to see silicone squeeze out. We'll see how that works.

Kinarfi

Part Number:---------------Napa-PS1334---Napa-1334-------Napa-1347------WIX-51347-----WIX-51334

Media:-----------------------Paper ALL

Height:----------------------3.194-------------3.194-------------4.828-------------4.828------------3.194

Outer Diameter Top:-----3.252-------------3.252-------------2.921-------------2.921------------3.252

Outer Diameter Bottom:Closed ALL

Thread Size:---------------20X1.5 MM---ALL

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11 lb --- ALL

Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes --- ALL

Beta Ratio:-----------------2/20=22/40 -----2/20=22/40 -----+++DIDN'T SAY+++----------2/20=22/40

Burst Pressure-PSI:-------280----------------280----------------325--------------325--------------280

Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM ---- ALL

Nominal Micron Rating:----19----------------19------------------21---------------21-----------------21

I hope you guys appreciate how hard it is to make a table like this, it has to be done by hand, no copy and paste, bummer, oh well,

Notice the Nominal Micron Rating the smaller Napa filters have the better ratings, interesting, and the taller ones have the better burst value. Any one have any idea what beta ratio means?

Fram didn't give any information except for physical size, so I didn't add Fram to this table.

Kinarfi

Oil filter Beta Ratio = just off the top of my head? or copy & paste!!,,, :rolleyes::D

Filter ratings are an often misunderstood area of contamination control. The most commonly used rating is the Beta ratio, which is defined as the ratio of the number of particles upstream of the test filter versus the number downstream, greater than a given size. Using the Beta ratio, a 3 micron filter with a Beta 75 rating, will have on average 75 particles larger than 3 micron upstream of the filter for every one 3 micron or greater particle.

The efficiency of the filter can be calculated directly from the beta ratio since the % efficiency is simply (beta-1)/beta x 100. A beta 75, 3-micron filter is thus said to be 98.66% efficient at removing 3 micron and larger particles. It is important to note that a change in the beta rating from 75 to 200 at the same micron rating represents an increase of less than 1% in efficiency, but the beta 200 filter is more than 3 times more effective at removing 3 micron and larger particles than the beta 75 filter.

http://www.filtrationtips.com/2005_09_08.htm

Oil filter Beta Ratio = just off the topof my head? or copy & paste!!,,, :rolleyes::D

Filter ratings are an often misunderstood area of contamination control. The most commonly used rating is the Beta ratio, which is defined as the ratio of the number of particles upstream of the test filter versus the number downstream, greater than a given size. Using the Beta ratio, a 3 micron filter with a Beta 75 rating, will have on average 75 particles larger than 3 micron upstream of the filter for every one 3 micron or greater particle.

The efficiency of the filter can be calculated directly from the beta ratio since the % efficiency is simply (beta-1)/beta x 100. A beta 75, 3-micron filter is thus said to be 98.66% efficient at removing 3 micron and larger particles. It is important to note that a change in the beta rating from 75 to 200 at the same micron rating represents an increase of less than 1% in efficiency, but the beta 200 filter is more than 3 times more effective at removing 3 micron and larger particles than the beta 75 filter.

http://www.filtrationtips.com/2005_09_08.htm

I think Lenny wrote that(lol)

Wished I did write that but I didn't know that info. Good job Quig

Lenny

Good job,, sweet!! " Googled it, then copied & pasted it"" You guys know how smar,,dumb,,I am,,,,,,, Shut it,Rick!!!! :angry::blink::mellow::D

Another " dumb" question.. from Quig..

From Kinarfi"s info,,,,,,looking at cross references and noticed that the Napa Gold #1348 filter has a thread of 3/4-16 and my Trooper need a thread of 20-1.5

Ok, I've been using 1348, wrong threads,,, so now if I change to right threads,bigger filter,1347 is it going to thread on ok? or did I mess it up?

Guest Lenny

Good job,, sweet!! " Googled it, then copied & pasted it"" You guys know how smar,,dumb,,I am,,,,,,, Shut it,Rick!!!! :angry::blink::mellow::D

Another " dumb" question.. from Quig..

From Kinarfi"s info,,,,,,looking at cross references and noticed that the Napa Gold #1348 filter has a thread of 3/4-16 and my Trooper need a thread of 20-1.5

Ok, I've been using 1348, wrong threads,,, so now if I change to right threads,bigger filter,1347 is it going to thread on ok? or did I mess it up?

The two thread sizes are real close. I doubt you did any thread damage.

Lenny

next time you change your oil, lay a bolt up against the threads of where the filter screws on. Use a bolt that you know has a 1.5mm pitch, that would be a 10, 12, 14 or 16mm and also try a 3/8-16 or a 3/4-16, then you will know for sure which thread you have.

Kinarfi

PS, they are real close, a 3/4-16 would be 19.05-1.5875mm I doubt you could do any damage if you used the wrong one.

• 2 weeks later...

Not all the parts will cross. Even though the thread pitch, size, etc, is correct, the Joyner filter adapter is just a few threads shy of long enough to reach the filter to fit Mazda branded under Bosch. I had two filters that should have worked, but they didn't. I used an old adapter from my 91 Nissan pickup, modified it slightly, and ran some -10 AN hose from it to a filter mount that holds two Fram PH8A filter elements. Pics are up in my gallery, can't post them in the thread itself.

• 2 weeks later...

What I just read said Wix makes Napa's filters for them. And the 1 I was using, gold 1215 is replaced now by 1348,,

Hi everyone, from the 1st time I changed engine oil I have been using NAPA Gold #1394 and never had a problem with them. I have 2 2009 troopers. I did hear that some owners were using Fram filters and they were coming loose. I too never liked fram oil filters. NAPA is a good filter to me anyway.

Stevozz

• 2 months later...

Any one know the O/S dimensions on the Wix 51348 ? My 2008 Trooper has a 3/4 x 16 thread pitch & is limited on the O/S diameter size due to the engine mount.

I'm using the Wix 51347 which works fine even though its a bit larger OD. It's twice as big as the stock filter.

Lenny