Quantcast

Moab Trooper

rocmoc

We completed Hell's Revenge and Steelbender. Today went on Moab Rim and was going GREAT until we broke. Lenny, new weak link. We snapped the rear output shaft of the trans. Sheared it even with the end of the CVC driveshaft. There was NOTHING we could not climb or cross BUT! We someway popped out of 4wd climbing Moab Rim and we had to stand on the power to keep from going over backwards and down a 500+' cliff. Spun us around and kept it forward but at the end of the ordeal oil was coming out of the tranny. Backed down to a safe zone and a quick look revealed a clean shear of the rear shaft. Nursed it back to the highway and removed the rear driveshaft. We are back at camp, loaded and leaving for Camp Verde tomorrow. SOOOOO we will spend an extra day or two in the Camp Verde area as we make our way home. Had a ball, love Moab but I think/feel it would be easier in an Automatic. I have a new found respect for ALL of the UTVs. They are all great! More later as now I am drowning my sorrows with an early day refreshment and it ain't 0 proof!

Lenny, the stuff we climbed at Logandale was child's play compared to Moab!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico/Moab,UT.

Guest Lenny

Rocmoc, just wanted to get what happened straight. The way I am understanding it is that first you popped out of 4WD then as a result you were forced to throttle quite hard putting a unusual amount of driving stress, going to the back wheels only, causing the trans shaft to twist off. This makes me feel that the planitary hubs would be even more important. In your situation, if you had a planitary setup, you could have probably run in third with the same pulling power you have now in low. The trans shaft would be spinning 3 times the RPMs it is in low now and at 1/3 the stress. Sure makes sense. Someone was concerned about the weight but it shouldn't add more then about 5 to 10 pounds per hub. Even though were heavy and concerned about weight I find that for the most part I can go anywere with my wife and 2 dogs as I can riding alone. The only difference would probably be the sand dunes. I'm a lot less concerned about weight then I used to be. Eventually when we get to increasing engine power, I think we will have all the power we need reguardless of a few extra pounds.

By the way, my rear wheel problem ws not the spindle bearings which were fine. Instead, all 4 of the spindle's pivot points had elongated holes. The bolt threads are actually going through the support hole rather then the bolts shank. The trailing link arms had the same problem. I'm completely redoing them with larger bolts and bigger bearing surfaces. Also the shock lower mound does not need to be moved closer to the tire for reduced torsion on the swing arm. This woud do that but it is not necessary. There is a major design flaw in the swing arm that is easily corrected and will increase its torsional strength probably 5 fold. Mine shows some twisting. I'll be making a full report with pics when done. There some thjings you can check to see if yours is twisted and I'll be describing those also. Even though I got, as usual, involved in how I am fixing mine, there are fairly simple fixes to all the problems that will be more then good enough for everyone except the more aggressive users.

Sorry to hear about your breakdown and glad nobody got hurt.

Lenny

We had a ball even tho we only got to complete half of our assigned trails. We are safely home just as our first summer thunderstorm hit. Monsoon season is coming early this year. Coool! Will unload tomorrow and make some calls about parts & repair. We did meet a dealer from New Mexico that found a USA replacement clutch. Will be contacting him soon to get the info. Will post with his contact. Also met a new Trooper owner with the power steering option. His said it was too touchy and was afraid to drive over 50 mph. He said the steering over-reacted to steering input. He had every option offered, pretty trick!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

rocmoc, can you post some pictures of the output shaft, i would like to see if it twisted or snaped, there is a place is san diego where we can get parts hardened if we need to. The big thing would be if the parts are made of good steel, I think they are, you guys are just putting more stress on your parts because of the bigger tires. Also did you have yor tires aired down, that gives you alot more traction, but puts even more stress on the running gear.

Hello Flatbed. Agree we are pushing the Trooper beyond its original design. I will get you pics. Just got it out of the Toyhauler and now cleaning the floor from the leaking gear oil. I will take a pic of the piece that is still in the end of the driveline. I believe it was my fault. Can't remember putting it in 4wd but do remember locking the lockers. I just messed up. Only the second time I have broke in my life-long offroad playing so I can't be too upset. I was impressed the clutch didn't go. Thought it would fail before any other component. Yes I was aired down but not to the max. 8lbs in the front and 11 1/2lbs in the rear. The shaft is $108 on the Joyner site and I am going to check with them tomorrow for a price as well as a local trans shop. Nothing special, just a transaxle transmission. Share glad to be home!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I will say I was very impressed how well ALL of the UTVs preformed. The Kaw Trex had the roughest time but still did well. Problem was the wheel base and width was nearly the same as the Trooper but much less ground clearance so it would hang up time & time again trying to climb. Two of them broke at the same location I broke, lost their 4wd. Both followed me back to the campground. The RZR & Rhino performed excellent. Mods make a big diff no matter what you are driving. Turbo was more a problem than help. Turbo lag is a killer when you are trying to rock climb. A couple RZRs had it and didn't do as well as the stock RZRs.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Guest Lenny

Rocmoc, hang on to the old shaft. Should it later be necessary to heat treat them, the old parts can be used for determining the material and test treating. Good point on the turbo, I wouldn't want power lag power while rock climbing or regular climbing for that matter. Dunes would be fine. IMHO, torque is the number one best thing we can add to our troopers. That is along with good suspension. big tires and power steering. Picked up a pair of like new Harley Davidson 2007 Street Glide Mufflers to day at the local thrift shop for $20. Hung one on the Trooper and it sounded good and nearly as quiet as yours rocmoc. I will be mounting it. If anyone is interested in one, I have an extra one. It's yours for $10 plus shipping. The inlet of the muffler was almost a perfect fit sliding into the Trooper exhaust outlet.

Lenny

Rocmoc, hang on to the old shaft. Should it later be necessary to heat treat them, the old parts can be used for determining the material and test treating. Good point on the turbo, I wouldn't want power lag power while rock climbing or regular climbing for that matter. Dunes would be fine. IMHO, torque is the number one best thing we can add to our troopers. That is along with good suspension. big tires and power steering. Picked up a pair of like new Harley Davidson 2007 Street Glide Mufflers to day at the local thrift shop for $20. Hung one on the Trooper and it sounded good and nearly as quiet as yours rocmoc. I will be mounting it. If anyone is interested in one, I have an extra one. It's yours for $10 plus shipping. The inlet of the muffler was almost a perfect fit sliding into the Trooper exhaust outlet.

Lenny

I'm sending you a PM about the muffler.

Cinda

Well unfortunately I have not been able to talk to a live person at Joyner. I called multiple times the 866 number & the local number leaving a message. I have also emailed them and am now waiting for a response. I will keep calling. I know they downsized their workforce but let's hope they will respond. I have been very busy just getting home after 3 weeks and will get to the pics. I have not forgot, just priorities. Preparing for Monsoon season and dealing with the Heat are first priorities.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Email between myself & Cinda: (Hope you don't mind, Cinda)

Hi rocmoc,

I finally got ahold of a real person twice yesterday, when you call in select number one (they answer on that line)for new sales and they will transfer you to parts and you don't get the voicemail. If you ask for Casey the service manager you might get through faster. Just an idea.

They were great getting us the driveline. We're going to the new shop in Mesquite to get it installed in two weeks, they are only open M-F so George is taking a Monday off.

So is the monsoon season starting early? We have a chance for thunderstorms in the afternoon all week so maybe we'll be lucky and actually have a good rain.

Cinda

Thank you, it worked. Just talked to Casey. He will give me a more accurate price tomorrow but he said it would be less than $400 including parts. He can have it repaired in a couple of hours so we will drop it off in the AM, play in Phoenix for the day and pick it up in the PM on the way home. Thanks again.

Talked to Casey. Repair is going to be around $350 including parts (output shaft & bearings) with me removing the trans and taking it to Phoenix. The actual trans repair will take a couple of hours so we will drop off in the morning, play in the city and pick up as we are leaving Phoenix. I won't have time until late July or Aug so no updates until then. I will also install the upgraded clutch, info to follow. The time line for the repair is before we head to Baja for the winter, so I don't feel rushed. Very sorry I forgot to ask Casey if this failure has occurred before. Again I will restate, I think I caused the failure.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico