Quantcast

Rear axles!!!!!!!

charlie

Try shooting some penetrating oil in the axle end. Support the diff so the axles are vertical and shoot the oil in the lower axle. Let is set of a while, swap ends and do the same to the other axle end. The water & crud can get inside and cause the clip/ring to stick. Let it set for a day or two before trying again. This assumes you took everything out as a unit. If not jack up one side of the Trooper and spray, let set, then jack up the other side. They can be a pain.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

When i work on my trooper or any other vehicles i have that got at least one cv shaft with cv stub,

Id go to oreilly auto parts and rent this tool

"axle popper"

It worked wonders for me

http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/STE0/71410/N0675.oap?ck=Search_N0675_STE_-1_-1&mn=Steck+Manufacturing&mc=STE&pt=N0675&ppt=C0067

So another night in the garage and the axles are still on the diff yup!!!! Ugh. Soaked them in on blaster had a friend come over used pry bars wiggled them and nothing! I thought about hooking a chain to my truck and pulling it lol but that would probally not work with the t2 on jack stands! To think I thought rebuilding the diff would be hard! So who wants to fly to Mass and help get this done lol

So another night in the garage and the axles are still on the diff yup!!!! Ugh. Soaked them in on blaster had a friend come over used pry bars wiggled them and nothing! I thought about hooking a chain to my truck and pulling it lol but that would probally not work with the t2 on jack stands! To think I thought rebuilding the diff would be hard! So who wants to fly to Mass and help get this done lol

Lol i know the feeling first few times i took my cv axle off my rear diff i used my 4 foot long pry bar the pry bar tried to punch me in the face fewtimes so axle popper worked for me but i have Lenny's diff rebuild kits and I'm scared to rebuild it at home due to basic minimum tools i have at home all my nice snap on tools are at work shop

I had the same problem when I pulled my rear driveline for the first time. What I did -

I backed my pickup to the Trooper. I place a 4x4 wood post between a solid location on the Trooper & my trailer hitch. I wrapped a chain/strap around the driveline. I used a come-a-long between the chain/strap & the trailer ball and started taking in the slack. After I had A LOT of tension on the come-a-long, I tapped the head of the driveline (the part that was stuck) with a hammer. It came flying out. Be very careful! Next time the dirveline came out with just a pry bar.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

ugh thaqnx for the support guys and advice ill give it all a try and if doesnt work its dynimite time lol. Im trying to find that tool from Orielys but there is no O rielys around here!!! I hate to take it off the jack stands to put outside to try and figure a way to get axles out with my luck (badluck) ill probally bake something else

Guest Lenny

ugh thaqnx for the support guys and advice ill give it all a try and if doesnt work its dynimite time lol. Im trying to find that tool from Orielys but there is no O rielys around here!!! I hate to take it off the jack stands to put outside to try and figure a way to get axles out with my luck (badluck) ill probally bake something else

I think Autozone also rents out tools. Try all the parts suppliers around you. A little c4 kills 2 birds with one stone. Pick up your axel on one side of your Trooper and the diff will be on the other side partially disassembled for you.

Lenny

Lenny I think I will use the c-4 as a last resort lol.

Nocturnalsixer ya I saw a snap on tool guy yestarday he said he can get it but will take a week.

I have some bearing type clamps we use at the subaru shop to press bearings of im gonna try putting them around the axle and prying on that with even pressure if that doesnt work im gonna overnite the tool tomorrow

FINGER CROSSED AGAIN THANX ALL

Guest Lenny

I think I got it. First tie the Trooper off to a tree. Hook a chain to the axel and the other end to a dump truck. Get another chain also hooked to the axel and leave some slack in it so you can make a long loop in. Get a couple of friends with 48" pry bars, an axel popper or two. Get another friend with a 2x4 and a sludge hammer. Then squirt a little WD40 into the bell followed by packing the crack inbetween the bell and diff with C4. After the C4 is in, use a bearing puller to put some initial pressure on the problem. I'm also sure you could find a place for the axel poppers which of course takes a couple more friends. Then, count down from 10. When you hit 0, the dump truck yanks while someone clobbers the inside of the chain loop with a pipe, The two friends yank on the pry bars. The other friend swats the end of the 2x4, which is on an angle from the other side, as hard as he can. A fourth friend beats the bell to shock it with a large hammer. Your last friends bang on the axel poppers. And all at the same time touch off the C4 and wammy, its out. Timing is critical.

PS. take a picture when the count reaches 0

Lenny

• 5 weeks later...

Easiest way I found after reviewing all the posts was to rent a slide hammer and FWD Axle Puller adapter from Autozone. Slide hammer is part # 27033 and Axle Puller is 27058. Took me about 1 minute or so to pull each CV off the diff. Some went in 10 pulls and others took about 20 but all were rather easy. I pulled both front and rear diffs as I am changing gearing to Renegade and doing Lenny's rebuild kits. Pictures of puller is on my gallery.