Quantcast

Travis' Mule 550

I know I've set the idle at the carb

here's a picture of the set up,IMG_20181208_135910.jpg

that governor arm is supposed to be on front of that stopper.

according to the manual this is where you adjust the governer.

I might have my friend come over and look at it, he's a little more mechanically minded than me.

The throttle cable hooks  into the hole by the top screw,

I'd try backing it off a half turn at a time, drive it, see what happens. When the results turn negative, I'd see if I could improve it again using the other screw. See if I could get it to level out at what it used to be. But I can almost guarantee that thing wasn't bottomed out from the factory. So I'm hoping that loosening that lower screw will give a desired result. But a word of caution. When playing with this kind of thing, it's extremely important to be able to put it back, just like it was. So I'd carefully count the the turns to the bottom on both, then put it back. Then write it down. In my younger days, I've rendered a working machine, to non working, by not being prepared. Sometimes getting it running again can be a real pia. It doesn't have to be exact, but very close.

But really, it seems like it almost has to be an adjustment. Although like I said, I know nothing about a governor.

• Like 1

If the run time is long enough to use some additive like Berrymans, or Seafoam, you might try that first. Could end up being a cheap fix. Otherwise it sounds like the carb could use a cleaning. Personally, I think that if it went a half mile, that you could get enough treated fuel through it to help. Does it have a fuel pump? Or is it gravity fed? Is it possible that it's not getting enough, or intermittent flow?

It has a fuel pump, it works off of crankcase breather.

I cleaned the carb when I had it apart.

But finally it kind of clears its self up and ran good. So I just wonder if there's some trash in the tank or something. I'll have to get some b12, that stuff works wonders. I also ordered a new fuel filter.

Sometimes people think they've cleaned, and /or rebuilt a carburetor, only to find out it didn't take. Those things have tiny little fuel passages that can easily be missed. That's why I suggest you let the fuel do the cleaning, using an additive. Sometimes that isn't possible, but I think it'll work here. Assuming that's the problem. If it's the tank, you could draw some gas through the line, into a glass jar. Look for impurities, also make sure there's good flow. Or it could be the gas cap vent. When the engine is having issues, quickly pop the cap, look for immediate improvement. Verify by driving it awhile with a rag or something stuck in there. No problems, then replace the cap. See what happens, then repeat till you know for sure.

• Like 1

Put some B12 in the tank today, and drove it around for about 15-20 minutes, at idle i can definitely tell it's surging at idle,,  Idles high for a few and then  idles back down a little... oh well, I'll see what Berryman can do about it. before i take it off and soak it. lol

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Hugh
      My 2018 Hisun sector crew engine cut off after about 15 minutes run. There is no indicator of what is wrong, no error code just die and won't restart until it cool down. I notice that the fan is not running but the temp indicator is on low temp, no overheat indicator. I checked the radiator fluid, it is cool to touch.
      Cooling fans are working, I can hear it running once awhile if I can get the engine warm up enough.  Thank you for all the help.

Hugh
    • By JSmojo
      I've been looking at various types of UTVs in the 400-700cc range. It seems that Massimo has a really good price point but I don't know much about their reliability and availability of parts. Been looking specifically at their T-Boss 550. I've heard the parts might be an issue because the network is smaller, but couldn't find much info from owners.
      Here are a few specific questions about them
      1. In your opinion, are the reliable? Specifically, have you hand any parts break that in your mind shouldn't have? 
      2. If you had one and got rid of it, what was the reason? 
      3. If you don't recommend Massimo, what would you recommend (even if it costs a little more)?
      4. How easy is it to find a place to service them? How easy is it to get parts if you want to service it yourself? 
      If you have any other advice, I would appreciate it. I'm also looking at the Hisun Sector 550.
    • By Grizz
      Hello I have a 2022 axis 7004x4 Utv after about 6 months it would start fine but sometimes it would stall and you have to crank it again and it would run fine I am wondering what causes this does anyone else have this problem. Thanks 
    • By Jacob E freeman
      I have a 2018 cub cadet challenger 750 I bought brand new almost 2 years ago the first month I had it the exhaust broke and burnt the spark plug wire in two that was a recall so the dealership installed the new one it had a different design and it bolted up to the bottom two plugs below the spark plug the dealership said they had to Adjust the exhaust valves I get the machine back thanking everything is good now wrong not even a week after I get it back the timing chain tensioner comes apart inside the motor I take it back to the dealership They put one on I get the machine back thanking everything is good but then just like before not even a week goes by when I was riding the Machine automatically quits going come to find out the wet clutch was burned up the primary clutch head stripped off of the splines I get that fixed and then  it overheats I take it back they bleed the air out of the coolant they bring it back to me the same day that I get it back it overheats again I take it back they temporarily fix it again just enough to let the warranty run out and now the machine has been to multiple different mechanics I have had them try to bleed the air out they have stood it up on its end I have had the water pump changed I have had the fan hooked to a switch so I could leave it on all the time but still almost 2 years later not even 200 hours on the machine and I cannot ride it The dealership will not take it back as a lemon I have tried I am at my wits end I have no clue what to try next
    • By Nickie Watts
      I have a Hisun Strike 1000 I have been trying to get going, it has only 39 hours on it, so I can only assume it has been sitting for a long time.

The issue is it is losing spark to both coils after 20-30 seconds of running, doesn't matter if it's WOT or Idle, it will shut down.  What sends signal to the coils to fire? It has a crank sensor, I was thinking a CDI box, but I have not found one of those on the machine.
      The rear end was busted on it when I got it, So I ordered a new one and installed it only to run into this problem. I can only imagine the problem has happened over it sitting so long and not being driven.

I originally thought it was a fuel problem, so I checked the injectors, throttle body, o2 sensors. Discovered the heating element in one of the o2 sensors was bad, so ordered both and also replaced both injectors just to be sure, then discovered it is only losing spark.