Quantcast

turbo trooper

Russ

I was wondering if any of you have put a turbo on and how it was, how it runs? I was thinking of putting a 20hp chip on the next one we get in. I think with 30" ITP's and the chip, it should run like it did with 27" tires. Any imput or opinions would be appriciated.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy runs a performance shop in Red Deer and is starting on a kit for the trooper. Turbos are his thing, he designs and builds kits for snowmobiles and whatever else you want. Anyway he took off the exhaust and said that the exhaust ports in the head are about 1" and the header is built from 1.5" (these numbers aren't right but you get the idea). he is going to be building a new header for the turbo kit out of the proper sized tubing to keep back pressure and build velocity which he tells me will build boost with almost no lag. I thought even if you didn't want a turbo at least maybe the exhaust built to proper specs would give a person more bottom end and more power. anyhow when he gets it done I'm going to take it for a rip and i will report back on how well it works and hopefully a price.

Kevin

Any info on the headers, chip, or turbo that anyone can give me, I would like to hear. We did notice that the headers are made with each tube being different lengths, it would do some good to make some all the the same length for even flo and backpressure. As far as the chip being 900$, I don't think that is extreme, I know with 4-wheelers or any other sideXside you will put alot more than that in it to get 20hp. Although if it is going to have problems down the road I wouldnt want to mess with it. The guy that I talked to said that it kicks in at 1500rpm and that he has had no problems with them, I was just wanting some more opinions on them. Thanks, Rusty

My buddy runs a performance shop in Red Deer and is starting on a kit for the trooper. Turbos are his thing, he designs and builds kits for snowmobiles and whatever else you want. Anyway he took off the exhaust and said that the exhaust ports in the head are about 1" and the header is built from 1.5" (these numbers aren't right but you get the idea). he is going to be building a new header for the turbo kit out of the proper sized tubing to keep back pressure and build velocity which he tells me will build boost with almost no lag. I thought even if you didn't want a turbo at least maybe the exhaust built to proper specs would give a person more bottom end and more power. anyhow when he gets it done I'm going to take it for a rip and i will report back on how well it works and hopefully a price.

Kevin

Have you drove a trooper with the turbo?

I can get you in touch with a guy that makes them if you want. I will have to dig through my papers and find his number.

I would like to hear how someone else like it or not before I spend 900.00 can you tell a big difference in it No Limits as one 13hp to rear wheel for 899.00 I don't see that 13hp would make a difference could you even feel 13hp

I would like to hear how someone else like it or not before I spend 900.00 can you tell a big difference in it No Limits as one 13hp to rear wheel for 899.00 I don't see that 13hp would make a difference could you even feel 13hp

13 hp ontop of 85 is significant but what these things really need is torque, that is more usefull than HP. torque is what you feel.

I think that the 20hp increase should make it drive like it did with 27" tires when you have 30" on it. But I agree, I would like to see a increase in the torque and I would like to talk with someone that has drove one around and can give a good description, the same with a turbo. I do value the opinions that I get off of this site and I am glad to get the responses from all of you. Thanks, Rusty

Guest Lenny

I'm going to first see what I can do to clean up its breathing. Ksimpsy posted about the exhaust port mismatch with the pipes. I haven't pullid it down yet to look but I will. The loss from mismatched ports can be huge. What do you guys see should be done to the intake and exhaust. I'm thinking a chip will be my last consideration. Can the same chip that will add power to a stock engine be used after its breathing is improved or will it need to be reprogramed. If not, we need to get the chip makers to agree to reprogram them for free when their advanced. Buying a chip early might then be acceptable for more owners. I'm looking for torque more then horse power. As far as driveline stress, rocmoc twisted off a trans shaft while at Moab. This is concerning. I'm undecided on this. When at the jamboree, I towed an enclosed trailer that looked about 24' long. I assume it weighs in the neighborhood of 3000# to 3200#s. I pulled it up a hill and even had to pull it over about a 3-4" stepup to the ashfault. When I did this, I was in first gear with 31" tires and in 4WD lockout. I had to give it a fair amount of throttle to just pull it up the grade and gave it more when I felt the stepup. It was pulling real hard. It felt like a tractor but pull it, it did and I didn't break. That wants to tell me that the driveline is real strong and failures have not been from poor design but poor workmanship. We all know that there are lots of workmanship issues. My feeling is that if driven carefully and smoothly whild doing aggressive stuff, we should be ok with extra power.and torque.

Lenny

I'm going to first see what I can do to clean up its breathing. Ksimpsy posted about the exhaust port mismatch with the pipes. I haven't pullid it down yet to look but I will. The loss from mismatched ports can be huge. What do you guys see should be done to the intake and exhaust. I'm thinking a chip will be my last consideration. Can the same chip that will add power to a stock engine be used after its breathing is improved or will it need to be reprogramed. If not, we need to get the chip makers to agree to reprogram them for free when their advanced. Buying a chip early might then be acceptable for more owners. I'm looking for torque more then horse power. As far as driveline stress, rocmoc twisted off a trans shaft while at Moab. This is concerning. I'm undecided on this. When at the jamboree, I towed an enclosed trailer that looked about 24' long. I assume it weighs in the neighborhood of 3000# to 3200#s. I pulled it up a hill and even had to pull it over about a 3-4" stepup to the ashfault. When I did this, I was in first gear with 31" tires and in 4WD lockout. I had to give it a fair amount of throttle to just pull it up the grade and gave it more when I felt the stepup. It was pulling real hard. It felt like a tractor but pull it, it did and I didn't break. That wants to tell me that the driveline is real strong and failures have not been from poor design but poor workmanship. We all know that there are lots of workmanship issues. My feeling is that if driven carefully and smoothly whild doing aggressive stuff, we should be ok with extra power.and torque.

Lenny

Super T2 actually pulled a 28 foot trailer that weighs around 4000 pounds. :D Thanks again Lenny, you're the greatest!

Cinda

I have also pulled my 20' boat with it. It was not a problem at all. I used it to put it away last fall and had to back it down a hill and then up into my yard. I was on gravel and grass in the yard. It did not slide at all backing down the gravel road and did not spin a tire backing up into the yard on grass could not have been more pleased and impressed.

lenny, you are on the right track with the breathing, the intake manifold needs to be redone so that the air is not having to work so hard to get to the engine. I think just redoing the manifold and making it so the air cleaner is next the the throotle body would make a big difference

I was looking at the air intake and it looks like it could be flipped over so the throttle body is on top at the front then you could just put the air filter straight on the throttle body (or modify your snorkel) eliminating the corrugated rubber hose they have. I also wonder if the ports are mismatched on the intake side to.

I talked to Jeff my mechanic buddy that's doing the turbo kit today and learned some interesting stuff. he has hooked up a new control box to the trooper and said by adjusting that he can make the unit run much better, the box runs about $400 i am assuming that is all that the new "chips" are doing. he also said that the exhaust manifold is completely wrong (which i covered earlier) but he said that 2 of the manifold ports were partially covered by the flange. this is something we should all have a look at to make sure it's not the same on ours. I think I talked him into building headers for the trooper that we could get even if we didn't want to turbo but it would help out on the bottom end lots. He is also going to build a new intake that is properly matched to the motor. he said he has a program to figure out dimensions and lengths to get the proper velocity for peak performance. this intake could also be used without the turbo. after picking his brain for a bit i got an approximate price out of him for the turbo kit. he figured around $2300 unless it needs an intercooler. the price to do headers intake and a computer would be around $1600 ish so for a weee bit more you get boost. DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THESE PRICES IT COULD BE MORE WHEN IT IS ALL SAID AND DONE. also installation on top of course but this gives you a rough idea and i will bet money it will be the best kit out for these things because like I said that's all this guy does is boost stuff and has it figured out so you have virtually no lag. the kit will still be a while but if you can wait it will be worth it. I'm going to try to get a video when it is up and running so you can all see it preform.

Guest Lenny
I talked to Jeff my mechanic buddy that's doing the turbo kit today and learned some interesting stuff. he has hooked up a new control box to the trooper and said by adjusting that he can make the unit run much better, the box runs about $400 i am assuming that is all that the new "chips" are doing. he also said that the exhaust manifold is completely wrong (which i covered earlier) but he said that 2 of the manifold ports were partially covered by the flange. this is something we should all have a look at to make sure it's not the same on ours. I think I talked him into building headers for the trooper that we could get even if we didn't want to turbo but it would help out on the bottom end lots. He is also going to build a new intake that is properly matched to the motor. he said he has a program to figure out dimensions and lengths to get the proper velocity for peak performance. this intake could also be used without the turbo. after picking his brain for a bit i got an approximate price out of him for the turbo kit. he figured around $2300 unless it needs an intercooler. the price to do headers intake and a computer would be around $1600 ish so for a weee bit more you get boost. DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THESE PRICES IT COULD BE MORE WHEN IT IS ALL SAID AND DONE. also installation on top of course but this gives you a rough idea and i will bet money it will be the best kit out for these things because like I said that's all this guy does is boost stuff and has it figured out so you have virtually no lag. the kit will still be a while but if you can wait it will be worth it. I'm going to try to get a video when it is up and running so you can all see it preform.

Good work Ksimpsy. Intake and headers with a computer change sounds like the way to start. Adding a turbo later could be decided on after one sees if more is still needed. If this guy uses a program to help him figure stuff out, he is obviously well expierenced and sounds like he knows his stuff.

If my dad didnt live 3000km away I could get my hands on his CNC machine.. :( I was starting to look around for a nice small turbo to run about 3-6 psi (no idea what the top/bottom end on these engines would be good for) and by searching that I stumbled onto here! BTW, hello fellow Troopers! :D I have a slightly modded Trooper that I will post up pics later for all.

A Turbo done right!

My dealer in Tucson designed and installed a Turbo on a T2. Unlike some that are using the Turbo only his included an inter cooler.

I saw it run and it was unbelievable how quick in was. It ran through the gears so fast there was barely time to shift. The top speed was limited by the rev limiter and they were working on a way to get around that. They were running the Turbo with only about 6 lbs of boost. I can only imagine how much power it would have with more boost.

This installation was a one of kind with the thought in mind that they may do others. I'm out of town for the summer so don't know what they decided on production. I know to do the job right is not cheap.

Their telephone number is 520- 624-2000 if you'd like to call them.

Gumball

I built a turbo kit for my trooper and it is working really good. I picked up a T15 turbo off ebay and built an exaust manifold for it. The manifold took lots of time and die grinding to get it good but way cheaper than the 3000 Doller kit. I used 1.5 inch abs black plumbing pipe for my air side and picked up a blow off valve from ebay. The FMU fuel manegment unit is a 12:1 ratio I used a vortech. I am running 10 psi boost and 20% racing fuel. I have 30inch itp`s and it turns them awsome way more power than i expected it to make. Before turbo with the big tires it would not rev out in 5th gear now its a non issue. I had an issue with the turbo drain that is in the oil pan already was to small i had to cut a hole in the pan and make a bigger drain. So far it is staying together but time will tell

• 1 month later...

Ksimpsy, I'd like to know more about his turbo kit also. If you can please drop me an e mail. Also if anyone is looking to buy one I can tell you who not to go to. I would be happy to give details to anyone who would like to drop me an e mail

Ksimpsy, I'd like to know more about his turbo kit also. If you can please drop me an e mail. Also if anyone is looking to buy one I can tell you who not to go to. I would be happy to give details to anyone who would like to drop me an e mail

I just talked to the guy yesterday he said it was almost done they were just going to put it on a dyno to do all the fuel mapping. I will be going to take it for a drive hopefully this week and I will report back with pics and info.

So I took the Trooper for a ride yesterday, it's not running right yet. they were still waiting to get it tuned on the dyno but it was still very impressive. once the boost kicked in it was alot of fun. I didnt have a good place to test it, just a ditch but once it is running tip top i will take it for another burn with more road or trail so i can get a good overall feel of it I would also like to take a video to show you guys. I took a few pics of the kit so have a look.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/23109...104844937hVtAoV

Kevin

2096617060104844937VWLYbo_th.jpg

You must enjoy washing, you sure look like you have fun getting dirty, just went and looked at your photos, looks good, do you still have that locker welded in place and if so what do think about having it locked up all the time? How's your power steering system working?

Thanks

Kinarfi

I'm not the biggest fan of washing, it takes an hour out of my day, but I guess I had my fun getting it dirty. the locker is still welded and I like it because I don't have to worry about the locking mechanism working or not. right now my front dosen't work I think that the pin it slides on is binding because i pulled it apart and it was fine if you push evenly but when it pulls on the cable it seems to bind or not fully engage. The power steering is working great, it makes driving with the diff locked much easier you dont even notice when the front diff is locked you can turn fine. the only thing that could be better is the steering geometry, because my tie rods are longer than the a-arms when the suspension compresses the toe in turns to toe out. im sure a few of you guys saw that problem, but for me it is no big deal at normal ride height it has toe in and when my suspension bottoms i am usually going slow.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

Have you seen this What do you think

HEY EVERYONE, FOR THE LAST YEAR WE HAVE BEEN WORKING ON A NEW TURBO KIT FOR THE 1100 TROOPERS THAT WILL PERFORM IN ALL CONDITION WE CAN THROW AT IT, MUD, MUSKEG, HEAT, COLD, AND EVERYWHERE IN BETWEEN. WE NOW HAVE COMPLETE THE TJR TROOPER TURBO KIT.

HP ON STOCK TROOPER - 86HP AT ENGINE - 56HP AT WHEELS

HP ON TJR TURBO - 165HP AT ENGINE - 110HP AT REAR WHEELS (DYNO'D)

ON PUMP FUEL!!!!

THIS KIT FEATURES:

CUSTOM ENGINEERED HIGH FLOW EXHAUST MANIFOLD

LIQUID COOLED, MITIBISHI TURBO CHARGER

PROPER SIZED HIGH FLOW CHARGE TUBE

OIL PUMP, TANK, FOR CIRCULATION FROM THE TURBO (NO SMOKE)

AND #1 A EFI CONTROLLER WHICH WORKS WITH STOCK ECU TO DELIVER SAFE, PROPER FUEL THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE POWERBAND, ON BOOST AND OFF